Auto and commercial insurers are helping customers manage costs in a number of ways. During this extraordinary crisis, companies are voluntarily offering arrangements for:
- Refunds and discounts for families, individuals, and businesses;
- Flexible payment solutions for families, individuals, and businesses—providing additional time to make payments;
- Waiving insurance premium late fees for families, individuals, and businesses;
- Pausing cancellation of coverage for personal and commercial lines due to non-payment and policy expiration, which includes personal auto, commercial auto, homeowners, business owners, renters, boat, motorcycle, condo, mobile home, personal umbrella, and landlord.
- Suspending personal auto exclusions for restaurant employees who are transitioning to meal delivery services using their personal auto policy as coverage;
- Adding more online account and claims services for policyholders;
- Shifting more resources to anti-fraud and cyber security units, in recognition of the bad actors who will prey on victims during times of crisis; and
- Adopting new technologies and remote solutions to minimize interruptions in service, collision repair, and claims handling, such as using virtual inspection technology to complete damage inspections.
Individuals going through extraordinary life circumstances should call their insurer or agent to discuss their options.